Questions To Ask Your Home and Pest Inspector The 7 Question Checklist | By Total Inspections Pty Ltd
7 Questions To Ask Your Home and Pest Inspector
Pre-purchase building and pest inspections are a vital step when buying a house, so it’s crucial that you ask the right questions when trying to find a pre-purchase building and pest inspector.
Here are 7 questions you should ask your pre-purchase building and pest inspector:
1. Are You A Fully Licenced Home and Pest Inspector?
Unfortunately, there may be some building and pest inspectors who do not hold the required qualifications. In Queensland, building inspections must be conducted by a fully licenced inspector.
For pest inspections, your chosen inspector must be fully licenced.
They’re going to need to be experienced and fully capable of safely handling pesticides, identifying pests and their habitats, deciding on which pesticides and methods to use for each case, and in formulating an overall management plan when performing a pre-purchase building and pest inspection.
At Total Inspections, all of our pest and building inspections are carried out as per Australian regulations and standards with qualified, licensed and insured inspectors.
2. Is A Building And Pest Inspection Really Necessary?
A combined building and pest inspection can give you the peace of mind that the property you’re buying is free of potentially damaging pests and is structurally sound.
It can also help you when it comes to negotiating the sale price if there are costly repairs that need to be done.
As a seller, a full building and pest inspection can also give you confidence that your property is in tip-top shape and you won’t have any surprises when the buyer gets their own inspection done.
– – –
– – –
3. Why Do I Need Both A Building And A Pest Inspection?
In Queensland it’s recommended that both a building and pest inspection is carried out, so you get a full assessment of the property and know its condition inside and out before you buy.
4. When Do I Get My Building Inspection Report?
Typically, you will receive your building and pest inspection report within 24 hours of the inspection.
5. How Much Will A Pre-Purchase Building And Pest Inspection Cost?
Every company is different, so when it comes to the cost, it’ll be different no matter where you go.
You also have to take into consideration the size of the house being inspected.
For a rough estimate, pre-purchase building and pest inspections usually cost anywhere between $300 to $600.
6. How Long Does The Inspection Take?
A joint building and pest inspection will on average take between 1-2 hours to complete.
But that all depends on
• the size of the house
• any difficulties had during the inspection
• and how old the house is.
7. What Do Your Pre-Purchase Building And Pest
It’s always a good idea to ask your pre-purchase building and pest inspector what’s involved just so you’re aware of what’s happening.
And although we can’t speak for other businesses, here at Total Inspections, our building and pest inspections involve the following:
- Moisture meters to determine the level of moisture in the building materials.
- Thermal imaging cameras are used to detect the slight temperature variations that termites or other pests give out. Termi-track movement detectors can check for movement inside wall cavities or floor spaces. Thermal imaging cameras are also used to detect slight temperature variation to assist with leak detection or air leakage.
- Laser technologies to assess the floors and walls level to check if the building is showing signs of subsiding.
- The inspection will also evaluate visual defects and functional operation of the building’s fixtures, assess structural elements and non-structural elements in the sub-floor areas, external of the buildings, roof space areas and internal of the premises if access is available.
- And much more at Total Inspections…
Looking for a service to perform a pre-purchase building and pest inspection on The Gold Coast, Ballina or Brisbane?
Delivering A Premium Service Since 2016
As a family-owned and operated business, Total Inspections takes pride in offering a personalised service.
In fact, it’s at the heart of everything we do here.
Want to know more?
For more information about our pool inspections, please call us at Total Inspections on 1800 868 251 or contact us by email here.
We provide property inspections, pest inspections, pool inspections, virtual tours and more to residential homeowners, commercial business owners and property investors in Ballina, The Gold Coast right up to North Brisbane.